Monday 24 March 2014

Que Sera Sera

I know this blog is a couple of days late. I thought you may all forgive me since I wrote the Cancer and #Nomakeupselfie  instead!

I have a column in my local newspaper again today, that will be posted here soon but here is the last one. (Click on the Photo below)



"When I was just a little girl, I asked my Mother, what I would be?"
We all know Que Sera Sera by Doris Day, in fact it's one of my favourites.

It's funny when you look back to your childhood and even your teens, you reassess the way you thought about things. Recently, I've looked back on my views on relationships.

Mike and I are possibly upping sticks and moving to Denver, Colorado, USA later this year.  It has suddenly dawned on me that he and I are going to have to stick together more than ever before. This is ironic, as regular readers will know; Mike is a geologist and has been working on oil rigs for the last 8 years, so we've been a long distance couple. Without our family and friends around us, I know I'll be clinging on to Mike for dear life.

8 Years, and so many coupled selfies!

Mike is used to travelling, being away from home and missing out on big events like weddings, baby showers and special birthdays, I'm not.

I think that Mike and I together and as individuals WILL cope with this huge change, but I've been harvesting advice (whether welcomed or not!) and looking at all the relationships that surround us.

One of our friends refers to us at her Slippers. This said friend is a single Mum and we've been there for her through thick and thin; dating, pregnancy, break ups and an unfortunate evening in trawling through online dating site's with her. 

She see's us as Slippers because, in her eyes we're the old (although not married) couple; strong dependable and most of all good friends.

This, however, does not mean we've not had our ups and down, family problems, Mike's OCD, my laziness, his job and my jealously issues and many more have all tested our resolve as a couple. I think people are too afraid to admit to this, there is a part of me that worries that I've failed in part or have been a complete mug in others eyes, but 99% of me is proud that we're still together after all of the above.

When I was a child, I always had my head in a book or up in the clouds; I would fall in love at 16, go to University at 18, then marry at 21, we would have two children by the time we were 25 and in the meantime I would become editor of Smash Hits, More or Cosmopolitan.

How wrong could I be? I think the clouds fogged my reality checker.

There have been a lot of relationships changes for our friends lately; the career girl, getting engaged in Tuscany,  the couple that were together for 4 years, shockingly split who then turned back the clock and going back to dating each other, the controlling partner finally told the truth, the young couple divorcing after less than a year, love is a messy business!

It seems a lot of us aren't on the paths our childhood selves imagined, or the life our teenage selves gossiped about, hell, I'm not even leading the life my 25yr old self thought about.

Relationships are hard work. I wouldn't give up Mike and I's one for all the tea in China, but I've had to learn the art's in compromise, self confidence and holding ones tongue. It's said you can only learn from your own mistakes, I beg to differ, as weird as this may sound, seeing all the up's and downs of everyone else's relationships has been a great teaching ground.

I am 100% positive that friends and family have looked at Mike and I and thought "I wouldn't put up with that" or "Jeez rather them than me" as no relationship is smooth running and perfect. Maybe we’ve taught them something?

As a writer I'm always looking for stories, trouble is, none of my friends want their dirty laundry aired in public , so it seems you'll just have to put up with my scandal and honesty.... trouble is, I quite like being one in a pair of safe slippers - how dull!

L x

P.S Don't forget to enter my Easter Bunny Competition click here for more details!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting. Should you wish to contact me privately e-mail Lynsey_Ellard@hotmail.com